January 8, 2024
President Bill Keogh rang the bell and called the meeting to order.
Neil Dickert gave the pledge and invocation.
Matt Barrett introduced our guests and visiting Rotarians.
Richard Rogers gave the sunshine report.
- President Bill began by taking a moment to recognize the distinguished life of Mr. Pat Rice who passed away this week. Mr. Rice was a local attorney and community leader. He was also the spouse of long time club member, Susan Rice.
- President Bill reminded the club that that Dat Hoang has arranged a tour of the Savannah River Site on January 15. The reservation link has been shared with the club.
- Our schedule of speakers/topics for the coming weeks include,
- January 22 – Ashley Whitaker will present on Junior Achievement
- January 29 – Dennis Carr, CEO/President of Savannah River Nuclear Solutions
- There will be no meetings on 1/15 in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King.
- The annual Georgia Economic Outlook luncheon will be held Wednesday January 17. Our club will have several tables for members wishing to participate.
- The Speech Committee will be meeting after we adjourn today.
- Everyone is encouraged to use the DACdb website and app. It is a great way to stay connected with fellow Rotarians.
- Through a global grant, the club was presented with a donation of white oak saplings. Anyone interested can pick them up on the way out today.
Paul Harris Fellows
TR Reddy introduced our two newest Paul Harris Fellows, Jim Jones and Elizabeth Goodwin. Both Mr. Jones and Ms. Goodwin were instrumental in helping Mr. Reddy grow his business and achieve great success due to their efforts. Ms. Goodwin was recognized posthumously and the award was accepted by her daughter.
Ed Presnell introduced our newest member, Lindsay (Thetford) Black.
CART: President Bill asked everyone to please continue to contribute to the blue buckets on the table or online at mycartfund.org using the same login credentials you use with DACDB. Also, please complete our club’s Google form to sign up to be a Cart Challenger.
Commissioner Stacy Tallent announced that Eddie Booth was the week 15 winner with 7 correct picks beating 2 others in a tie. Before announcing the annual winners, he recognized Ashlee Duren for her help this year sending out the surveys and collecting the results.
Following 15 weeks of College Football, the grand prize winner was Eddie Booth followed by Chuck Fuqua in second place and Paul Wade in third. Congratulations to all of our weekly, monthly, and annual winners!!
Our guest speaker were Dr. Roger Murchison and Mary Morrison. They shared the story of Gerson Faillos who dreamed of coming to America to study. Gerson was born and raised in Argentina and struck up a friendship with Dr. Murchison while he was on a mission trip.
Having watched Gerson grow up over the years, Dr. Murchison learned that Gershon dreamed of coming to the United States to study. Through a donation from the Hull Fund, he was able to come to Augusta and study for a semester at Augusta University.
Ms. Morrison discussed her interaction with Gerson and shared a short video story prepared by the local television station where she works. The experience was life changing for him and he thanked the club through a recorded video message.
President Bill led us in reciting the four-way test and then adjourned the meeting.
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current