August 22, 2022
President Faye Hargrove rang the bell and called the meeting to order.
Linda Johnson gave the pledge and invocation.
Gould Hager gave the Sunshine Report today.
Club members introduced their guests in attendance today. We had several guest joining us today including Senator Max Burns.
- Please continue to sign in each week so that we have a record of attendance.
- We have added the virtual meeting option back for those who cannot attend in person but still wish to participate in meetings.
- President Faye played a compelling video showing the impact of Rotary around the world and encouraging young members to join us.
- She also shared pictures from last week’s Rotary Night at the GreenJackets game and thanked Tom Denlinger and Millie Huff for their hard work putting it together.
- Dr. Paul Dainer introduced James Holmes, Executive Director of Paceline, whose mission it is to raise funds to stop cancer. James told the club about the upcoming Paceline bicycle event coming up on October 15 and 16 which has a goal to raise $500,000 for the Georgia Cancer Center. They are hoping to have 500 riders and so far they have 256. Anyone interested in participating should reach out to James or go to the Paceline website.
- Rick Franza reminded the club that the College Pick’em will kick off next Monday with scouting reports being provided by various club members. We will have a special game day menu that day.
Next week we will get a report on the most recent GRSP Conclave at Lake Lanier Island.
CART: President Faye asked everyone to please continue to contribute to the blue buckets on the table or online at mycartfund.org using the same login credentials you use with DACDB. During the last Rotary year we donated $17,262.55 to CART.
SAVE THE DATES
Bob Evans came forward in introduced our guest speaker today, Lt. Governor Geoff Duncan. LTG Duncan has served Georgia since he was elected to the House of Representatives in 2012. He successfully ran for LTG in 2017 and took office in 2018.
During his time in office, he is most proud of helping pass the Hate Crime Bill and more than 50 healthcare bills that help Georgian’s get better care at lower costs.
Duncan has announced that he will not run for re-election, but will instead work in the political arena to help fix the Republican Party. In his words, he is “drawn to have a conversation with America” so that he can help find solutions to a broken political process. He has written a book, GOP 2.0, which outlines his ideas for reforming the party. The core of his plans involve engaging with the 4Cs; churches, charities, corporations, and citizens, to work together.
His personal philosophy has always been “policy over politics” and he hopes to use his leadership experience to bring people together to think seriously and creatively to improve the country.
Following questions from the audience, President Faye led us in reciting the four-way test and adjourned the meeting.
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current
There was no formal speaker today as this was our last official meeting on the Rotary year. President Shanda gave her heartfelt appreciation to the Club for their support this year and specifically thanked those who have mentored and guided her during the year.
Following her remarks, she invited all club members who had served as President of another club to stand and be recognized. She then invited all prior Augusta Rotary Club Presidents in the room to line up in preparation for the Passing of the Gavel ceremony.
The gavel passed from one to another with each person stating their name and years of service. It was quite an impressive group of men and women who have given of their time and talents to serve the club.
After receiving the gavel, Shanda presented it to President Elect Faye Hargrove and congratulated her on her new role.
President Faye thanked Shanda for her service and presented her with a gift from the Club and her new pin. Shanda then graciously accepted the gifts and her new title of Immediate Past President.
President Faye reminded the club of our next meeting on July 11 where we will have our Club Assembly then she led us in reciting the four-way test and adjourned the meeting.