April 11, 2022
President Shanda Vaughn rang the bell and called the meeting to order.
Jeff Flowers gave the pledge and invocation.
Richard Rodgers gave the Sunshine Report today.
Club members introduced their guests in attendance today.
- Please continue to sign in each week so that we have a record of attendance.
- Hull Fund Board of Trustees will be meeting today immediately following the Club meeting.
- The Rotary Golf Tournament is May 3rd. Sign-up sheets are on the table and an email has been sent to club members to register online.
- Past President Dustin Young updated the Club on a project being held by the Rotary Club of Claxton to deliver used school furniture to schools in Haiti. Our Club is being asked to raise or contribute $3,000 to offset the cost of shipping the furniture. Anyone wishing to contribute funds to this cause can drop off a check payable to Rotary District 6920 Foundation before the end of April. An email was also sent to all members about the project.
- Next week’s speaker with be Dirk Meyer with the Augusta Symphony.
March Madness 2022
Denise Vickers announced the final results of the 2022 March Madness Basketball Tournament. Billy Franke came in last place, Gene McManus finished 3rd, Dave Brendza finished 2nd, and Dr. Paul Dainer finished in first place winning 38 out of 60 games. Dr. Dainer not only won our club’s contest, but he was also the area winner for the Fox54 tournament. Congratulations to all of the winners!
Denise took the opportunity to announce that today would be her last meeting with our club as she begins a new career at the University of Florida. She thanked the members and officers of the club for their support. The Club recognized Denise’s hard work and wished her the best of luck with a standing ovation.
Millie Huff highlighted Rotary member Haskell Toporek.
CART: President Shanda asked everyone to please continue to contribute to the blue buckets on the table or online at mycartfund.org using the same login credentials you use with DACDB.
The District Conference will be held Friday April 29 – Sunday May 1 at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Augusta. Our goal is to have 25 members of the club in attendance with 9 members already signed up.
SAVE THE DATES
Annual Golf Tournament-Tuesday, May 3, 2022 TBD
President Shanda introduced our guest speaker Erik Montgomery. Eric is a club member and the Executive Director for Historic Augusta Inc.
Historic Augusta, Inc. is a private, non-profit membership organization whose mission is to preserve historically or architecturally significant sites in Augusta, Georgia. Erik discussed many of the projects Historic Augusta has helped preserve.
He explained the working definition of the “historical” designation which generally includes the property being over 50 years old, the integrity of the property, and the significance of the property. He also discussed the three different types of designations which are having a property listed as a National Historic Landmark, being listed on the National Register of Historic Places, or being located in a Historic District as deemed by the National Register or local governing body.
There are three things needed for a project to be successful. First, it must be a recognizable historic resource, secondly, it needs the support of the owner/occupants, and most importantly it needs a financial engine (private, public, nonprofit) to pay for the project.
Erik shared that the preservation of historical properties improves the quality of life for local residents and helps to improve property values by an estimated 4-19% based on national averages.
President Shanda led us in reciting the four-way test and then adjourned the meeting.
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current