February 7, 2022
President Shanda Vaughn rang the bell and called the meeting to order.
Erik Montgomery came forward and gave the Pledge and Invocation.
Visiting Guest - Club Members introduced their visiting guest.
Interact Students - Interact students from the Academy of Richmond County introduced themselves and were welcomed to the meeting.
Member Highlight-This week’s Member Spotlight is on Dennis Williams, a relatively new member of our Rotary Club having joined us in 2021 when invited by another member. Dennis serves as a commissioner representing District 2 of Augusta-Richmond County. He loves that Rotary allows him to meet and interact with a broad range of the community he serves. Originally from Chicago, Dennis has a daughter, Jessica, who is married and has his only grandson, Preston. Dennis is involved in a variety of organizations, including Destination Augusta, the Augusta African American Historical Society, and the National Association of Retired Federal Employees. He serves on the Augusta-Richmond County Public Safety and Finance Committees. In his leisure time, he enjoys cooking, dining out, taking drives, and singing in the men’s choir at his church. Thank you, Dennis, for your service to our community and for being a part of our Rotary Club.
Signature Fundraiser- Leigh Porterfield Teffeteller came forward and gave an update on tickets sales. Payments have been made on 395 tickets through Monday’s meeting, this does not include 50 tickets assigned to Augusta Locally Grown. It’s not too late to purchase tickets, if anyone is interested, please contact Dustin or Leigh.
The following winners have been determined:
- First Place - John Whitwell with 23 tickets sold. John will receive two Mercedes-Benz raffle tickets compliments from our Rotary club and 1,000 Paul Harris Fellow points.
- Second Place – Dennis Williams with 19 tickets sold. Dennis receives one Mercedes-Benz raffle ticket and 500 Paul Harris Fellow points.
- Third Place – Tom Denlinger with 16 tickets sold. Tom receives 500 Paul Harris Fellow points.
Congratulations to the winners!
Next Monday, we will have a drawing for a $100 restaurant gift certificate. Every Rotarian who sells at least three tickets is eligible for the drawing. Please let Dustin Young know if you don’t see your name and feel it should be on the list. If your name is not highlighted and you purchase/sell at least three tickets between now and Wednesday, we will include you in the drawing. You should have received the list in your email Monday.
We will start pulling tickets and posting them on glass in front of showroom at noon. Will pull the last five live on Fox 54 from 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm. We will not be providing health screenings or a buffet this year. People can drop by as desired. We encourage everyone to please stop by. Masks encouraged. We appreciate everyone who has supported the fundraiser this year. We are moving toward a strong finish.
- President Shanda reminded everyone to sign in on the attendance sheets.
- Our GRSP Student, Kaushini, is looking forward to getting to know more of you. Please reach out to Kaushini, Susan Jernigan or Surrendra Gupta if you have something fun that she could be a part of.
- The club continues Collecting can taps for the Ronald McDonald House.
- Thanks, to all of you who checked-in on Facebook last week.
- New Member Orientation will be on Tuesday, April 19, 2022, @ 4:30 pm- 5:30 pm.
CART – President Shanda asked everyone to contribute to the blue buckets on the table.
- Inside Challenger for this week is David Brendza and the outside challenger is Augusta Solutions.
- You can Give online at mycartfund.org. Login credentials are the same as DACDB.
- District Conference- we are looking for 5 volunteers to help with registration for the District Conference, which is Friday, April 29- Sun., May 1, 2022, here in Augusta. It will be held at the Marriott Downtown.
Wesley Brown came forward and talked about the Rotary Speech Contest. Deadline for entry is February 18th. First place wins $1000.00. Second place wins $500.00
New Member Induction
President Shanda introduced our newest member, Carletta Brown. Please make a point to welcome Carletta to the club.
President Shanda introduced our speaker Jared T. Williams, District Attorney for the Augusta Judicial Circuit. Mr. Williams spoke about the restructuring of the DA’s office. He also mentioned a lot of his decisions are based on the safety of the citizens and taking politics out of equation. His goal is to do everything possible to make the community safe as possible. He touched briefly on sex trafficking cases, referring to a specialize unit to handle these cases which are unlike traditional cases.
President Shanda led us in the four-way test and then adjourned the meeting.
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current