September 13, 2021
President Shanda Vaughn rang the bell and called the meeting to order. David Hudson gave the pledge and invocation. Richard Rogers gave the Sunshine Report today. Club members introduced their guests in attendance today.
- Please continue to sign in each week so that we have a record of attendance.
- Everyone is encouraged to update their pictures and contact info on the DacDb website. This is the best way to access information on our club so please keep it updated.
- Our next social event will be at TopGolf on Monday October 18 from 11:00-2:00. Please RSVP by October 11.
- President Shanda announced that our next service project will be held October 23 from 9:00-11:00 a.m. This project is being held in conjunction with the AU Rotaract Club and we will be cleaning near the canal. Watch for more details in the coming weeks.
- Brenda Durant announced that the Arts City Festival, a “mini” Arts in the Heart, will take place 9/17-9/19. Organizers are looking for volunteers to help in a variety of roles. Anyone interested should contact Brenda or go to the festival’s website.
- Steve Munn reported that the newly formed Mentorship Committee is looking for mentors to work with members of both the Young Professionals Association and the AU Rotaract Club. Anyone interested in either being a mentor or serving on the new committee should contact Steve.
- Rick Franza reminded the Club that the Jessye Norman School of the Arts is hosting a “Shark-tank” style event called the J-Tank to assist young entrepreneurs and their families to take their interests and passions to the next level. The event will be held Saturday September 18 from 10:00-1:00. For more information please reach out to Rick or James Hefner.
Rick Franza announced the winners of the first two weeks of the season. Aliah Wiley was the week 1 winner and Bill Keogh won week 2. Both received a $50 gift card to a local restaurant. You should be getting an email from Ashley Duren for you to pick your games. If you do not receive the email please contact Rick, Ashley or President Shanda. Great prizes will be given out each week and there will be prizes for the top 3 at the end of the season. Remember, we are using the point spread to determine the winner of each game.
None presented today.
CART: President Shanda asked everyone to please continue to contribute to the blue buckets on the table or online at mycartfund.org using the same login credentials you use with DACDB.
SAVE THE DATE
- Top Golf- Monday, October 18, 2021 (11-2)
- Veterans Day Program- Monday, November 8, 2021(12:15-1:15)
- Rotary Family Christmas-Monday, December 20, 2021(12:15-1:15)
- Signature Fundraiser-Monday, February 14, 2022 TBD
- Annual Golf Tournament-Tuesday, May 3, 2022 TBD
New Member Orientation
- Tuesday, October 19, 2021 (4:30-5:30)
- Tuesday, January 18, 2021 (4:30-5:30)
- Tuesday, April 19, 2021 (4:30-5:30)
Both the Hull Fund and the Membership Committee will meet today immediately following the Club meeting.
Veterans Day Celebration
The celebration will be held on 11/8/2021. If you are a veteran or someone in your immediate family is a veteran or currently serving in the military, please email President Shanda at email@example.com with your branch of service, rank and years of service.
New Member Induction
None presented today
Paul Harris Fellow Presentation
President Shanda presented a Paul Harris Fellow +1 pin to Surrenda Gupta. She has pins for club members who could not attend today and will present them as soon as possible.
Past President Kevin Wade introduced our guest speaker, Past District Governor and current Rotary Foundation Chair, Dr. Hamsa Thota. Dr. Thota spoke today on behalf of the Rotary Foundation. He shared the Foundation’s theme of “serving to change lives” and told us how they are using local and global grants to convert ideas into actionable, sustainable, and impactful change.
He reported that our club has provided nearly $600,000 in financial support to the Foundation since our inception. During the 2017-2018 Rotary year, we reached $149 per member in annual giving and during the 2011-1012 year we achieved 100% Paul Harris Fellow status. Dr. Thota challenged us to reach those milestones again.
Following his prepared remarks, Dr. Thota presented Kevin Wade with the Major Donor – Level 1 Pin and crystal award for reaching the $10,000 threshold for giving to the Foundation. Kevin thanked him for the award and then encouraged club members to contribute to the Foundation which he described as the real muscle behind Rotary.
President Shanda then presented Dr. Thota with a check for $2,500 on behalf of the Club to benefit the MAPS program which donates medical supplies and equipment to areas in need.
President Shanda led us in reciting the four-way test and then adjourned the meeting.
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current