May 13, 2019
President Elect Scott Williams rang the bell and called the meeting to order. With the meeting following Mother’s Day, he asked all of the mothers in the room to stand and be recognized. Jeff Spears gave the pledge and invocation. Jeff Simless welcomed our guests and visiting Rotarians. Thanks to our inside challenger, TR Reddy and the outside challenger, Robert Osborne with South State Bank, the club raised $701.64 for CART at our last meeting in which we honored Carolyn Maund. This week the inside challenger is Chris Etterlee and our outside challenger is Fuller Frost and Associates. Gould Hagler gave our Sunshine Report.
- The Club won the District Conference Cart Award for raising the most money for cart for the year.
- In addition to the annual award, we were recognized for being in first place with a total giving of over $100,000 during the last 10-year period.
- During the year, CART provided over $1 million in grants for Alzheimer’s research.
- We also received the Gold Presidential Citation for meeting all of the criteria. A special thank you to Jimmy Richards and Scott Williams for their help submitting the application.
- Rotary Golf Tournament was held Tuesday May 7, 2019 at the River Club in North Augusta. A big Thank You to Frank Mulherin for coordinating the tournament. Congratulations to John Whitwell, Jeff Simless, Ed Presnell, and Billy Franke for winning the tournament.
- Many thanks to Matt Barrett, Susan Everitt and Chief James for helping the American Red Cross install new smoke alarms. The event was a huge success.
Jerry Woods introduced our newest member, Larry Toole, to the club.
Bill Kemp will be leading a new member orientation meeting today at 4:30 at the Instellisystems office.
Brenda Durant introduced our guest speaker, Jason Craig, Senior Designer with the Westobou Festival.
Jason is an artist and graphic designer based in Augusta since 1998. After relocating from the midwest Jason pursued a fine art career and created logos and branding for a wide array of local businesses.
From Beck’s, the Indian Queen and Riverwatch Brewery to the Jingle Jam and even the final rebrand of Augusta University, Jasons efforts are seen by all. He has worked diligently to create opportunities for other area creatives by organizing independent art events and through his job as Senior Designer at Westobou Festival.
Currently, Jason is the immediate past president of the American Advertising Federation Augusta and serves on the board of directors for the Greater Augusta Arts Council who honored him with the first ever Kath Girdler Engler Award for Public art this past year. Jason recently received one of eight Porter Fleming Grants from the Trustees of the Academy of Richmond County to create large murals on his downtown studio, Pink Slips.
Following the presentation, President Elect Scott Williams led us in reciting the four-way test and then adjourned the meeting.
Next week’s program will be Sean Edwards with the Land Bank Authority. We will also salute our military next week.
There will be no meeting on May 27 in observance of Memorial Day.
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current
Inside Challenger: Chris Etterlee
Outside Challenger: Fuller Frost
Richmond Academy Interact Club
Westminster Interact Club
Augusta Tech Rotaract Club
Brittany Burnett 5-13-19 On Line Make up
Phil Wahl 5-13-19 Rotary Club of Aiken
Tariq Robinson 5-13-19 Red Badge Meeting
Shell Berry 5-13-19 Red Badge Meeting
Faye Hargrove 5-13-19 Rotary Board of Directors Meeting
Shanda Vaughn 5-13-19 Rotary Board of Directors Meeting
The Following will receive a make up for attending the Red Badge Orientation Meeting held on Monday, May 13, 2019.
The following will receive a make up for attending the Rotary Board of Directors meeting held at Cranston Engineering on Tuesday, May 14, 2019.
A K Gulati