March 6, 2017
President Jennifer Pennington rang the bell at 12:15 p.m., calling the Monday March 6, 2017 meeting to Order.
Pledge and Invocation: given by Jeff Flowers
Rotary Moment: President Jennifer described a program of the Douglas AZ Rotary Club: a Fly-In/Pancake Breakfast at the Douglas Municipal Airport including Young Eagle Flights to the first 100 youths (ages 8- with parent signature) that come to our event.
Guests/Visiting Rotarians: were introduced by Clayton Jolly
CART: President Jennifer announced that the club had sent a $12,000 check to CART
At the club’s last meeting, $554.78 was raised for CART with the help of Inside Challenger Steve Foushee. Contribute to the blue buckets on your tables.
Sunshine Report: Brad Means reported that US businesses will lose approximately $2 billion in lost productivity during March Madness, and that the chances of filling out a perfect bracket are 1 in 9.2 quadrillion – that is 1: 9,200,000,000,000,000.
- Frank Mulherin reminded that the club will hold its annual golf tournament on April 17th. Sign up sheets are on the tables.
- President Jennifer added:
- The Rotary Service Project will be at the Imperial on March 18th. Don’t forget to sign up! Sign up sheets are on the table.
- The International Convention which will be held this year in Atlanta on June 10th – 14th. More information can be found at the riconvention.org or on the district website. Bill Gates will be the keynote speaker.
- The district conference will be held this year at Jekyll Island on March 24 and 25th. More information can be found on the district website.
- We have an announcement from fellow Rotarian, President Jeff Anderson of the Augusta West Rotary Club. Augusta West will hold a fundraiser on Saturday – “A Taste of Something Wild”. Tickets - $30. Beneficiaries CART and Fisher House.
Program: Club member Angela Pringle introduced our speaker for the day, Dr. Jason Moore, principal of the E-Z-GO program "RPM - Reaching Potential through Manufacturing", conducted in collaboration with the Richmond County school system. Dr. Moore explained the goal of addressing the need for an educated local workforce by recognizing the challenges that many young people deal with while seeking a high school diploma and developing a model collaboration between E-Z-GO and Richmond County schools. Student barriers to education include poverty, truancy, absenteeism, teen pregnancy (Richmond County is #1 in Georgia), family issues, and personal lack of self-worth. Targeted students are enrolled in a day-long program that includes classwork as well as the manufacture of actual E-Z-GO vehicle parts (tail lights, brake pedals, steering columns) and classes. They are paid, but the job carries with it the self-responsibilities expected of an employee – reliability, notification of absence, quality performance. Failure results in “firing”. In this first year of the program 80% of the original 90 students enrolled are continuing. E-Z-GO hopes to employ one third to one half once they gain their high school diploma. Corporate and Educational leadership so pleased with the results thus far that they are looking at program expansion and increased participation. The presentation closed with a video of successful students, one of whom commented “I feel like I’m worth something now.”
President Jennifer announced that our next meeting will take place on March 13th and that our speaker will discuss the history of the Aiken Triple Crown.
She then asked us to stand and join her in the Four Way Test: Of all the things that we think, say or do: 1st: Is it the truth? 2nd: Is it fair to all concerned? 3rd: Will it build good will and better friendships? And 4th: Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
She rang the Bell to Adjourn the meeting.
SAVE THE DATE
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current
Rotary International Convention
HOST ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE
Inside Challenger: Steve Foushee
Richmond Academy Interact Club
Augusta Tech Rotaract Club
Martinez Evans Rotary
President, Augusta West Rotary
Kevin Wade 3-6-17 Red Badge Orientation