February 27, 2017
President Jennifer Pennington rang the bell and called the meeting to order. Jim Price gave the pledge and invocation.President Jennifer shared the impact that CART makes. Last year $600,000.00 was awarded as direct grants. One hundred percent (100%) of the donated funds go to cutting edge Alzheimer’s research. As of May 2016, the CART fund has awarded $5.8 million dollars through 34 grants to US research institutions.
Frank Ward welcomed our guests and visiting Rotarians. Butch Whiddon introduced Interact guest Clay McKnight who introduced our Richmond Academy Interact Club guest, Kackey Teston, Lucy Simmons and Charlsie Parham. Thanks to our inside challenger, Len Collins we raised $131.30 for CART at our last meeting. This week the inside challenger is Steve Foushee.
Richard Rogers announced member birthdays, years of service, and gave our Sunshine Report, a review of the 89th Oscars.
President Jennifer presented the slate of the Board for next year, approved by the club membership as follows:
- Director, Kevin Grogan
- Director, Faye Hargrove
- Director, Dora Hogg
- Director, Susan Jernigan
- Director, Chris McKinney
- Immediate Past President, Jennifer Pennington
President Jennifer presented the slate of officers to the Board of Directors beginning July 1, 2017, approved by the club membership as follows:
- President, Ed Presnell
- President-Elect, Leland Malchow
- President Nominee/Secretary, Scott Williams
- Treasurer, Dustin Young
Congratulations to our Officers and Directors for the 2017-2018 upcoming year.
We have two new members today. Kevin Grogan introduced our first new member Susan Everitt. Susan is the Executive Director of the American Red Cross Augusta. Susan has served as the Augusta University Director of Alumni Affairs, the Faculty Recruitment and Guest Relations for the GRU Cancer Center, and as the Director of Communications of Goodwill Industries.
John Whitwell introduced our second new member today Steve Smith. Steve is the Chief Operating Officer of Augusta Ear, Nose and Throat and a founding partner of ENT Solutions. ENT solutions develops software solutions that reduce waste, increase safety and improve patient throughput for physician practices.
- Member Recognitions: President Jennifer announced and Pam Lightsey presented Paul Harris PHF + 1 pins to Kevin Grogan, Larry Broyles, Walter Sprouse and Paul Wade.
- President Jennifer and Pam Lightsey presented a Paul Harris + 2 pin to Neal Dickert.
- Contributions: Annually we present checks to several groups in our community.
- President Jennifer presented a $2,000.00 check to our District Governor Pam Lightsey for the Rotary Foundation.
- President Jennifer presented a $1,000.00 check to Jerome Lyles for the Youth Challenge Academy.
- President Jennifer presented a $1,000.00 check to Wes Brown for the Boy Scouts.
- President Jennifer recognized Aimee Hall and Susan Jernigan as Will Watt Fellows and thanked them for their support of our GRSP student Sophi Pederson.
- Hull Fund meeting after today’s meeting.
- Thank you for contributions to Safe Homes Drive.
- Please sign up for the Rotary Service project to be held at the Imperial Theatre on March 18, 2017.
- The Annual Rotary Golf Tournament is April 17, 2017.
- The district conference will be held this year at Jekyll Island on March 24 and 25. More information can be found on the district website.
- You are also invited to attend the International Convention which will be held this year in Atlanta on June 10-14. More information can be found at riconvention.org or on the district website.
Tim Owings introduced our member speaker LaVerne Gold, President and CEO of the United Way of the CSRA. LaVerne attended Lucy Laney High School and Savannah State College. LaVerne has been affiliated with the United Way for 40 years. LaVerne was instrumental in bringing the 211 number to the CSRA for access to information about health and human services. LaVerne shared the results of a project beginning in 2015 to help improve the community. With help from GRU comparing data on poverty and income compared to similar size communities it is found that Augusta ranks low when compared to Savannah, Macon and Columbus. Significant social issues are single parent households, unemployment, a shortage of affordable housing and lack of public transportation. In closing family structure is important, high school education is not enough and anything we can do to help address unemployment is a tremendous help.
Following the presentation President Jennifer presented LaVerne with a book to be placed in the library.
Our next meeting is Monday March 6, 2017. Bill Kirby of the Augusta Chronicle will speak on the life of a journalist and the history of the Augusta Chronicle.
President Jennifer led us in reciting the four way test and then adjourned the meeting.
SAVE THE DATE
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current
Rotary International Convention
HOST ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE
Inside Challenger: Steve Foushee
Laverne Gold- Speaker, President, United Way of the CSRA
Club, Rotary District Governor
Richmond Academy Interact Club
Augusta Tech Rotaract Club
Martinez Evans Rotary
Stacie Adkins 2-6-17 Guest speaker - Thomson Rotary
Dora Hogg 2-13-17 On Line Make up
Ray Walters 2-6-17 On Line Make up
Fran Forehand 2-13-17 On Line Make up
Bill Kemp 2-13-17 Augusta West Rotary
John Whitwell 2-13-17 Red Badge Orientation
Patrick Cullinan 2-13-17 Red Badge Orientation
Zach Kelehear 2-6-17 Red Badge Orientation
Shell Berry 2-6-17 Red Badge Orientation
Ed Presnell 2-6-17 Red Badge Orientation
The following will receive a make up for attending the Rotary Red Badge meeting held at Intellisystems, February 27, 2017.