July 18, 2016
President Jennifer Pennington rang the bell and called the meeting to order. The pledge and invocation was given by Jim Price. President Jennifer gave a “Rotary Moment” and told how a Rotarian in England asked her grandson, who is an astronaut, to take their club flag to the international space station. Jennifer shared pictures of the flag hanging in the window of the space station. John Sebby welcomed our guests and visiting Rotarians. Thanks to Sheri Osburn and the outside challenger, Georgia Bank and Trust, the club raised $336.00 for CART at our last meeting. This week the inside challenger is Kevin Mayne. Jita Morrison reported that our Rotary Family Night at the Greenjackets baseball game will take place 8/12/16 at 7:00. Gould Hagler gave our Sunshine Report.
- District Conference July 30th at Oconee Technical College in Dublin, Ga. from 9:00 a.m – 1:00 p.m.
- The Broken Shackle program is in need of toiletry items, anyone wishing to donate can bring them to the next meeting.
- Rotary Leadership Institute is August 13th in Augusta. Anyone interested in participating should contact President Jennifer.
- The GRSP Conclave will take place August 26-28 in Augusta. We need 10 more families to agree to host 2-3 students that weekend. Forms are on the table.
- The Programs Committee, chaired by Tim Owings, will be meeting immediately following our club meeting.
- Billy Franke introduced Gretchen Caughman, Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost at Augusta University
- LaVerne Gold introduced James Heffner, Vice President and Senior Client Relationship Manager for State Bank and Trust
- Stan Shepherd introduced Tom Clark, Executive Director of the CSRA Alliance for Fort Gordon
Our scheduled speaker was unable to join us today due a death in his work family. However, President Jennifer coordinated with club member Chris Mckinney to give an impromptu presentation on public speaking.
Chris shared some very practical tips on improving our public speaking skills and shared the BECKS technique with the group. He stressed the importance of Believing in your message, Enjoying the experience and trying new ideas, Caring about your topic, Knowing your stuff, and Sharing with others during the presentation so that you are more at ease and your audience is more receptive.
Following the presentation, President Jennifer led us in reciting the four way test and then adjourned the meeting.
Next meeting July 25, 2016 and the speaker will be Kim Hines with Augusta Locally Grown.
Inside Challenger: Kevin Mayne
Keith Hull 7-11-16 West Augusta Rotary
Angela Pringle 7-18-16 Red Badge Orientation
Leland Malchow 7-18-16 Rotary Board of Dir. Mtg