May 2, 2016
President Elect Jennifer Pennington rang the bell to call the meeting to order and mentioned that this is “Youth Service” Month. She also let us know that President Billy was under the weather and could not join us today. The pledge and invocation was given by Tim Owings. Chris McKinney welcomed our guests and visiting Rotarians. CART: Thanks to last week’s inside challenger Chris McKinney we raised $300.00 for CART. This week the challenger is Max Statura. Thom Tuckey gave our Sunshine Report.
- District Conference May 13-15th-Savannah Desoto Hilton. Raffle tickets are available for sale to help defray the cost of the event.
- This past weekend the club held two service projects; rebuilding walking paths at Phinizy Swamp and passing out water for the Fire-K 5K Run. Thank you to all who participated.
- The Club will hold its annual golf tournament on May 16th. More details to follow.
- The Club is looking for volunteers to house 3 men and 3 women who are coming to August as part of the Group Study Exchange program.
- Thursday is the Past Presidents Luncheon, please RSVP if you have not aready.
- Jeff Futrelle reminded the Club of the upcoming RYLA event on June 24-25. We have 1 student signed up and have room for 1-2 more.
President Elect Jennifer called on Jerry Woods to introduce new member, Chris Melcher, EVP and General Counsel for Augusta University. She then called on Lowell Greenbaum to introduce new member Dr. Angela Pringle, RCBOE Superintendent.
President Elect Jennifer called on Becky Shealy to introduce our guest speaker, Mr. Dan Hillman Executive Director of Child Enrichment.
Mr. Hillman described the services provided by Child Enrichment to help children who are victims of both physical and sexual abuse. During 2015, the organization was able to help 802 children, 402 parents, and served another 632 families through the Clothes Closet.
He described the struggles of keeping qualified staff due to the constant stress of the job. Most counselors start right out of school and leave after two years. Just last year, the staff conducted 486 forensic interviews of child victims.
Mr. Hillman closed by reminding the Club that Child Enrichment needs financial support and volunteers in order to continue to educate the public on the abuse that is within our community.
Next meeting May 9, 2016 and the speaker will be Patrick Cullinan with the Police Benevolent Association of Augusta.
The meeting was adjourned by reciting the four way test.
Rotary Golf Tournament
Monday, May 16th
River Golf Club – 1:00 Shotgun
Guests Are Welcome
Inside Challenger: Max Stachura
George Hall and Bill Keogh
The following will receive a make up for helping with the Phinizy Swamp Project on Saturday, April 29, 2016.
The following will receive a make up for helping with the Fire Run on Saturday, April 29, 2016.
Andrew Williams 5-2-16 Phinizy Swamp
Susan Jernigan 5-2-16 Phinizy Swamp
Billy Franke 5-2-16 Phinizy Swamp
Rick Herring 4-25-16 Phinizy Swamp
Dee Beaird 4-25-16 Phinizy Swamp
Christine Betts 4-18-16 Fire Run
Paul Dainer 5-2-16 Fire Run
Russell Keen 4-11-16 On Line Make up
Russell Keen 4-18-16 On Line Make up
Russell Keen 4-25-16 On line Make up
Barclay Bishop 4-25-16 Augusta West Rotary
Ashlee Duren 5-2-16 Red Badge Orientation
Bobby Gagnon 4-25-16 Red Badge Orientation
Herb Upton 5-2-16 Red Badge Orientation
Chris McKinney 4-25-16 Red Badge Orientation
Travis McNeal 5-2-16 Augusta West Rotary (speaker)
The following will receive a make up for attending the Red Badge Orientation On Monday, May 2, 2016 at Kevin Wade's Office.