May 5, 2014
President John opened the meeting and called on Jim Price who led the pledge and invocation.
Chris Johnston introduced the guests and visiting Rotarians. President John gave thanks to last week's Club CART Challenger, Betty Dyches, who helped us raise $186.36 for the fund. This week's CART Challenger is Connie Melear and the outside challenger is R. W. Allen.
President John made the following announcements;
- We were well represented at the Rotary District Conference winning the Gold Club Award, Cart total contributions ($12,900) and Cart per capita contributions ($70.32 per member). By comparison the second place clubs donated $3,638.35 and 65.79 per member. The club thanked Jimmy Richards for his efforts serving as the CART Fund Chair. Emma Kate Few also won the District Speech Contest.
- The golf tournament is scheduled for Tuesday May 20th, anyone interested needs to let Frank Mulherin know as soon as possible. Frank is also looking for prizes to be donated.
- The 2014-2015 Committee sign-up sheets are on the table for everyone to complete.
- Welcome to our new members, Christine Miller-Betts and Richard Harman, who will participate in their Red Badge Orientation on May 12th at the Intellisystems office.
- Our next program on May 12th will be our very own member, Kevin Grogan. There will not be a meeting on 5/19 or 5/26 due to the golf tournament and Memorial Day.
President John called on Ned Murray to talk about RYLA. Ned discussed the benefits of the program and then called on Monica Mohanty a senior at Davison Fine Arts to share her RYLA experience with the club.
President John inducted three new members, Dave Brendza, Aimee Hall, and John Sebby who were introduced by Thom Tuckey, Ed Presnell, and Bill Kemp, respectively.
Marc Miller introduced our guest speaker and club member, Walter Sprouse. Walter is the Executive Director of the Augusta Economic Development Authority. He provided insight into the organization?s funding and some of the planning and effort that goes into bringing new business to Augusta. He reminded the club that the AEDA only receives 38 cents per taxpayer from the state and is responsible for generating its own funds. Walter also shared with us some of the details of recent successful bids including Starbucks, which earned an award for the Deal of the Year in the state.
President John thanked the speaker and adjourned following the recital of the Four-Way Test.
If you would like the opportunity to tell us about your business at an upcoming meeting, please contact Frank Mulherin -706-414-4922 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CART Blue buckets
Club Challenger: Connie Melear
Outside Challenger: R. W. Allen
Augusta Canal Authority
Jennifer Pennington /Club-RYLA speech
Jerry Woods 5-5-14 On Line Make Up
Ray Walters 4-28-14 On Line Make up
Birthdays & Anniversaries
Mieko Di Sano