October 6, 2014
President Jerry opened the meeting and called on Jim Price who led the pledge and invocation.
John Selby introduced the guests and visiting Rotarians. Brad Means gave the Sunshine Report and shared that Barry White received recognition from the Governor for receiving the Larry Allen Tourism Award. Barry is the President and CEO of the Augusta Convention and Visitors Bureau.
President Jerry gave thanks to last week's Club Cart Challenger, Barry White, who helped us raise $171.10 for the fund. The Club CART Challenger for the meeting is Charles Stewart.
President Jerry made the following announcements/presentations:
- David Steele was recognized as the Top Listing Agent for Blanchard and Calhoun.
- An appeal was given to the club for anyone that could assist in transporting our Georgia Rotary Student, Aline Lemis, to Savannah this Friday.
- The club was reminded that there will not be a meeting next week due to Columbus Day.
- Dave Brendza, the VP and General Manager for ADP, provided a Member Moment discussing his company and the role in the community.
- Rick Herring provided an overview of the upcoming Memorial Run on October 11th. The run is in honor of Michael J. Donahue and focuses on his honorable service. Donations will be accepted at the run for those who desire to assist and funds will go to the Augusta Warrior Project. President Jerry stated that those who could not attend the run could bring a donation check, made out to the Augusta Warrior Project, at the next meeting.
Chris Mckinney introduced the guest speaker, Dr. Mark Lyte, the Vice Chancellor for Economic Development for the University System of Georgia. Dr. Lyte's topic was about the University System's Impact to the Community. He provided an overview of the University System and how GRU fits into the system. Several of the points presented included:
- The restructuring of the system and impact by the Complete College Georgia Initiative to include the goal to increase the graduation rate to 60% by 2025.
- The economic development initiatives underway through the system changes to include creation of workforce development plans.
- The system has an impact to the state of $14.1 billion and employs over 45,000 employees.
- The relationship to the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) and the recent articulation agreement that allows the transfer of 27 General Education courses between the University System schools and TCSG.
President Jerry again reminded the Club that no meeting will be held next week due to Columbus Day and he reminded that checks can be brought to the next official meeting for those that desire to donate to the Augusta Warrior Project.
The meeting was adjourned following the recital of the Four-Way Test.
Upcoming Meeting Topics
10/13/14 NO MEETING: Columbus Day
10/20/14 Deke Copenhaver, Mayor of Augusta Richmond County
CART Blue buckets
Club Challenger: Charles Stewart
Speaker - Georgia Regents University
Richmond County Interact Club
Jason Haddox 10-2-14 Augusta West
Ray Walters 09-29-14 On Line Make Up
Betty Carter 10-02-14 North Augusta Rotary
Jeanette Cummings 9-29-14 On Line Make Up
Bill Kemp 10-06-14 Augusta South Rotary
Birthdays & Anniversaries
Mieko Di Sano
Jim Becton, MD,
Eddie Booth, Jr.
Carl Brown, Jr.