August 4, 2014
President Jerry Rogers called the meeting to order and welcomed all Rotarians and guests.
The Pledge of Allegiance and Invocation were given by Barry White.
Susan Barcus gave a warm welcome to Rotarians and guests. Our guest was the Executive Director of the Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art, Heather Williams. Because school has not started, there were no Interact students to join us for lunch.
President Jerry Rogers thanked last week's CART challenger, Guy Daniels, and the outside challenger for raising $226.78 to help meet our CART goals. This week's CART challenger is Len Collins and the outside challenger is Warlick, Tritt, Stebbins, and Murray.
The Sunshine report was given by Brad Means.
President Jerry made the following announcements and presentations:
- Several Club members attended the Sandersville District Grant Meeting and received a $5,400 District Grant.
- The history of our Club is featured with a 12 page special section in the Augusta Magazine. The following club members and their companies were recognized as advertisers in the special section:
- Greg Baker Computer Masters of Augusta,
- Betty Carter Candlewood Suites Hotel,
- Neal Dickert, George Hall, David Hudson, Bill Keough Members of the Hull Barrett Law Firm,
- Bob Evans Richmond Supply Company,
- Stephen Farmer, Cherry Bekaert & Holland,
- Jeff Futrell Meco of Augusta,
- Randy Hatcher MAU,
- Susan Jernigan First General Services of the CSRA,
- Hammy Kuhlke The Boardroom and Richards Furrier Cold Storage,
- Ed Presnell SRP Federal Credit Union,
- Jimmy Richards Pollock Company,
- Jeff Spears, David Hogg Sr. First Community Bank,
- Stacy Tallent Health Center Credit Union,
- Richard Isdell A& R Exterminating,
- Robert Osborne, David Hogg Georgia Bank and Trust,
- Foresster Adams Meybohm Scarborough Insurance,
- David Fields Yellow Cab.
- Kevin Wade Intellisytems
Bobby Jones wife Gail passed away Saturday. She is also Dee Beaird's mother-in-law. Funeral services will be on Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 11:00 A.M. at Aldersgate United Methodist Church with Dr. Rev. Jim Higgins and Rev. Alan Smith officiating. Interment will follow in Westover Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Aldersgate United Methodist Church Building Fund at 3185 Wheeler Road, Augusta, GA 30909. The family will receive friends Tuesday evening from 6:00 until 8:00 P.M. at Thomas Poteet & Son Funeral Directors, 214 Davis Rd., Augusta, GA 30907 (706) 364-8484. Please sign the guestbook at www.thomaspoteet.com
The club observed a moment of silence in observance of her passing.
Dr. Marc Miller introduced our guest speaker, Mr. Mike Ryan. Mr. Ryan spoke on "Renaissance of American Responsibility ? Our Civic Duty". He mentioned the start-up of a website "ROAR" to promote Character, Brotherhood and Citizenship.
The meeting closed with the four way test, led by President Jerry Rogers.
Upcoming Meeting Topics
8/11/14 Kent Guion, MD Chief Diversity Officer at Georgia Regents University
8/18/14 John Sebby, Salvation Army
CART Blue buckets
Club Challenger: Len Collins
Outside Challenger: Warlick Tritt
Club, Speaker - Augusta Chronicle
Gwinnett County Rotary Club
Bill Kemp 7-29-14 Augusta South
Dee Beaird 8-4-14 July- Board of Dir. Meeting
Tony Lever 8-4-14 July- Board of Dir. Meeting
Jeanette Cummings 7-14-14 On Line Make up
Jeanette Cummings 7-28-14 On Line Make up
Darryl Leech 8-4-14 On Line Make up
Ben McElreath 8-4-14 Dist. Conference 8-2-14
The following will receive a make up for attending the Rotary District Conference in Sandersville, Georgia on Saturday, August 2.
Birthdays & Anniversaries