January 9, 2023
President Faye Hargrove rang the bell and called the meeting to order.
Erick Montgomery gave the pledge and invocation.
Richard Rogers gave the Sunshine Report today.
Visiting Guests: Club members introduced their guests in attendance today.
Interact Students: Interact students from the Academy of Richmond County introduced themselves and were welcomed to the meeting.
- Please sign in each week so we have attendance records.
- We have added the virtual meeting option back for those who cannot attend in person but still wish to participate in meetings.
- You can now pay your Rotary dues using your credit card! Check your email for the quarterly statement and notice this new option.
- President Faye shared a video titled, We Are Rotary, explaining what the club does.
- The rotary float at the Rose Parade was made of lovely mums and received the Princess award.
- We will not meet next week, January 16th, in observance of the MLK Holiday.
Speech Contest -The Rotary Club of Augusta is accepting contestants for its 2023 speech contest. All high school students, including those who are home-schooled, may participate. Contestants must write and present a 3–4-minute speech on Rotary’s theme, "Imagine Rotary". Visit www.rotary.org as a resource on speech topics.
Nita Mulherin the Second female to join our chapter celebrated her 90th birthday.
Sunbai Matoti, our GRSP student, will speak at the Laney Museum on January 11, 2023, at 11:30.
CART: President Faye asked everyone to please continue to contribute to the blue buckets on the table or online at mycartfund.org using the same login credentials you use with DACDB.
Thanks to this week's inside challenger Rotarian Ed Tarver.
Please sign up to help Rotary's Alzheimer Research project by being a CART Challenger. Inside and Outside Challengers match the CART donation made at a designated Club meeting.
Save the Dates
- January 19th – Economic Outlook Leadership Luncheon at 12:00-2:00 Marriott at the Convention Center.
- January 24, 2023 – New member orientation Enterprise Mill 4:30.
- Erick Montgomery and David Brendza were tied for the final week of Bowl Games. Dave won the tiebreaker for that week.
- For the month of December, Rick Franza was the monthly winner and received the photo headshots donated by Sanjeev.
- For the season, the club had a winning percentage of 49.62%, but three of our members did far better.
- Chris Wilcox and Eddie Booth tied for Second Place with a 55% winning percentage so they combined the prize money for both second and third and won $175 each.
- And finishing in First Place was Dr. Paul Dainer who had an impressive 56.07% winning percentage to take home the $400 prize.
- Congratulations to all of the winners and a big Thank You to Rick Franza for being the Commissioner this year!
Past President Dustin Young reminded Rotarians of the signature fundraiser. The raffle for a Mercedes Benz GLA 250 has begun. Tickets are $100 each and a maximum of 1500 tickets will be sold. Each Rotarian is asked to purchase or sell three tickets to support the fundraiser. So far, we have sold 120+ tickets from the club and the Apparo Academy has sold 15 tickets and turned in $1500. We have a long way to go so please reach out to the Signature Fundraising Committee to pick up your tickets.
Dustin Young offered to provide you with examples of social media posts you can share to help us sell raffle tickets for our signature fundraiser. Here are examples from LinkedIn and Facebook. Please use them as you see fit.
LinkedIn Post Facebook Post
You can also visit the social media pages for our Rotary Club and find posts on those pages that you can share.
If you need tickets, Dustin will have them at our next few Rotary meetings. Dustin can also arrange to meet
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current
There was no formal speaker today as this was our last official meeting on the Rotary year. President Shanda gave her heartfelt appreciation to the Club for their support this year and specifically thanked those who have mentored and guided her during the year.
Following her remarks, she invited all club members who had served as President of another club to stand and be recognized. She then invited all prior Augusta Rotary Club Presidents in the room to line up in preparation for the Passing of the Gavel ceremony.
The gavel passed from one to another with each person stating their name and years of service. It was quite an impressive group of men and women who have given of their time and talents to serve the club.
After receiving the gavel, Shanda presented it to President Elect Faye Hargrove and congratulated her on her new role.
President Faye thanked Shanda for her service and presented her with a gift from the Club and her new pin. Shanda then graciously accepted the gifts and her new title of Immediate Past President.
President Faye reminded the club of our next meeting on July 11 where we will have our Club Assembly then she led us in reciting the four-way test and adjourned the meeting.