December 12, 2016
President Jennifer Pennington rang the bell and called the meeting to order. The pledge and invocation was given by David Hudson.
President Jennifer gave a “Rotary Moment” and told how the Rotary Club of Hillcrest in Canada raised funds for a water reservoir project that will ensure that 48 children at a village in South Africa would have constant access to clean and safe water. A primary goal is that the village can remove itself from the grid and rely solely on the collection of rain water, saving the organization significant money each month. With the excess funds they are hoping to convert over 15 geysers in the area to a solar hot water system, which would also save additional funds for the organization.
John Sebby welcomed our guests and visiting Rotarians. Willie Williams welcomed our interact guests.
CART: Thanks is given to John Snider for raising the club $395.00 for CART at our last meeting. This week the outside challenger is FFL Wealth. No inside challenger was mentioned.
Richard Rogers presented the Sunshine Report.
- The Club is asked to be in thoughts and prayers for Aimee Hall as her oldest son recently passed away.
- The Club’s Holiday Party is next Monday, December 19th; participants will include Santa, the Salvation Army, and some of the Member’s children.
- The Speech Contest is January 23rd. If you have someone interested, contact LaVerne Gold.
- District Conference is March 24th and 25th at Jekyll Island.
- All are invited to attend the International Convention in Atlanta from June 10th to June 14th. You can find information at reconvention.org or at the district website.
Steve Hobbs introduced our guest speaker for the day, John Bell. John discussed the Ins and Outs of the Second Amendment. He provided some historical context that was very informative.
Following the presentation, President Jennifer provided reminders of the announcements given earlier and then led us in reciting the four way test.
The meeting was adjourned.
Next meeting is December 19th….Christmas Party Day and the last meeting for this year!
Rotary International Convention
HOST ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE
Outside Challenger: FFL Wealth
Guest Speaker The 2nd Amendment
Richmond Academy Interact Club
Augusta Tech Rotaract Club
Rotary - District Governor
Anita Mulherin 12-5-16 Cruise Ship Service Meeting
Bill Kemp 12-5-16 Augusta South Rotary
Dustin Young 12-12-16 Rotary Board of Directors Mtg.
Scott Williams 12-12-16 Rotary Board of Directors Mtg.
Susan Jernigan 12-12-16 Rotary Board of Directors Mtg.
The following members will receive a make up for attending the December board of directors meeting held at Cranston Engineering, Tuesday, December 13.