February 22, 2016
President Billy opened the meeting and called on Robert Osborn who led the pledge and invocation. Frank Ward introduced the guests and visiting Rotarians. Barclay Bishop gave the Sunshine Report. President Billy gave thanks to last week’s Club Cart Challenger, Jeff Partyl, who helped us raise $280.20 for the fund. The Club CART Challenger for the meeting is Jessie Cummings.
President Billy made the following announcements/presentations:
- The District Conference will be May 13-15th at the Savannah Desoto Hilton. Club service projects are at the Phinizy Swamp and Heritage Academy, March 2nd 10-11 a.m. to read.
- Paul Dainer received a Paul Harris Fellow +1 pin. Ed Presnell received a Silver Level Pin for member sponsors.
- Lavern Gold introduced the Club Speech Contest winners. The winners presented their speeches to the club.
- 1st Place Winner; Kaleigh Anderson, Westminister School of Augusta, 11th grader
- 2nd Place Winner; Kennedy McKnight, Westminister School of Augusta, 12th grader
- 3rd Place Winner; Emily Rogers, Westminister School of Augusta; 11th grader
Jennifer Pennington introduced new member Dr. Adarsh Gulati. Kevin Grogan introduced new member Ashlee Duren. Tim Owings introduced new member Travis McNeal. Welcome to Augusta Rotary, Dr. Gulati, Ashlee Duren, Travis McNeal!
Name: Dr. Ted Johnson, Pediatric Cancer
Topic: Pediatric Immunotherapy Program for Children with Cancer.
Dr. Theodore Johnson is an assistant professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology at the Medical College of Georgia. Dr. Johnson earned his B.S. degree in Chemistry from the Georgia Institute of Technology and his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from MCG.
Dr. Johnson discussed the power of the immune system to heal children with cancer. Dr. Johnson said more children die from brain tumors than any other type of cancer. He discussed how most cancer drugs and clinical trials are for adults. Dr. Johnson talked about his clinical trial for kids using immunotherapy treatment options to treat pediatric brain cancer.
Next week’s speaker will be Randy Hicks, Pres., GA CTR for Opportunity.
The meeting was adjourned following the recital of the Four-Way Test.
Rotary Golf Tournament
Monday, May 16th
River Golf Club – 1:00 Shotgun
Guests Are Welcome
Upcoming Meeting Topics
2/29/2016 Dr. Rau: Digestive Health
3/14/2016 Giving Back to the Community Day
Inside Challenger: Jeanette Cummings
Outside Challenger: Jeanette Cummings
Dr. Ted Johnson
Speaker, Pediatric Cancer
Club, Speech Contest Winner
Club, Speech Contest 2nd place
Club, Speech Contest 3rd place
Ray Walters 2-8-16 Augusta West Rotary
Scott Williams 2-22-16 Rotary Board of Directors Meeting
Brad Means 2-8-16 Emcee, United Way Meeting
The following will receive a make up for attending the Rotary Club Board of Directors meeting on February 16, 2016