August 5, 2019
President Scott Williams rang the bell and called the meeting to order. Tom Clark gave the pledge and invocation. Thanks to our Inside challenger James Hefner and outside challenger Mimi’s Boutique, together we raised $302.31. This weeks inside challenger is President Scott Williams and outside challenger is Allstate Insurance Agent – James O’Neal. Daniel Rhodes introduced our guest and visiting Rotarians. Brad Means gave the Sunshine Report. Dee Beard introduced our newest member Adrienne Patterson, Resource Development Director of Boys and Girls Club of the CSRA.
Susan Jernigan introduced our latest GRSP Student – William Baerenhodlt. William is excited about being in Augusta and part of Augusta Rotary Club. Please make a special effort to welcome William to the club. If you have any opportunities in the coming weeks and months you would like to share with William please contact Susan Jernigan or Billy Franke.
- President Scott Williams announced Willie and Maggie Williams welcomed the birth of their son Luke – 9lbs 6oz on Sunday. If you see Willie please congratulate him on the new addition.
- We had a good turnout for the Rotary Family Night at the Green Jackets game last Thursday. It was perfect weather, and everyone had a great time. Thanks to Ridge Whitehurst and the Family of Rotary Committee for making all the arrangements.
- Our program for next week will be Katrina Keefer – new CEO of AU Health. The following week on Augusta 19th we will be having our College Football Kickoff Program.
- The United Way kickoff will be on August 26th. We will not have a meeting that week; however, we encourage you to attend the kickoff instead. Our club has six tables reserved.
- Matt Barrett asked club members to forward pictures of club activities and announcements to his email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Lowell Greenbaum introduced our guest speaker Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen.
After a background in law enforcement with the Richmond County Sheriff’s Dept., he joined the coroner’s office in 2001 and was promoted to Chief deputy in 2002. In 2014 he became the Richmond County Coroner.
Mark mentioned he is 1 of only 3 full-time coroners in the state of Georgia and receive about 1000 calls per year. Mark shared with us the many duties of the coroner’s office. With the largest full-time office in the state working homicide, suicide accidents, fire deaths, drug deaths and industrial accidents.
The coroner’s office determines if autopsies are performed locally or sent to Atlanta. They have 7- vans in their Transport Service to keep up with the demand of local pick ups and trips to Atlanta.
Mark stated the coroner is responsible for pauper burials and had 28 this year. He was proud to say that if they determine the pauper to be a veteran, they would purchase a suit and provide a military funeral.
At the conclusion of the program, President Scott led us in reciting the four-way test and then adjourned the meeting.
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current
Inside Challenger: Scott Williams
Outside Challenger: AllState Insurance Agent - James O'Neal
Richmond Academy Interact Club
Westminster Interact Club
Augusta Tech Rotaract Club
The following will receive a make up for attending the Rotary night out at Augusta GreenJackets baseball game on Thursday, August 1:
Ray Walters, Ed Presnell, Scott Williams, Jeff Simless, Steve Munn, Neal Dickert, Billy Franke, Shanda Vaughn, Ridge Whitehurst, Janice Jackson, Faye Hargrove, Susan Jernigan, Frank Mulherin, Leigh Porterfield, Bob Evans
Dora Hogg 7-22-19 On Line Make up
Bill Kemp 8-05-19 Red Badge Orientation
Darryl Leech 8-5-19 On Line Make up
Darryl Leech 7-29-19 On Line Make up
Neal Dickert 8-5-19 Greenjackets baseball game
Frank Mulherin 8-5-19 Greenjackets baseball game
Leigh Porterfield 8-5-19 Greenjackets baseball game
Ed Presnell 8-5-19 Greenjackets baseball game
Ray Walters 8-5-19 Greenjackets baseball game