March 19, 2018
President Ed Presnell rang the Bell at 12:05 PM, calling the meeting to order on Monday, March 19, 2018.
MOMENT OF REMEMBRANCE FOR PAST PRESIDENT DEE BRUKER
Davenport Sanford Bruker, 67, husband of Karen Wilson Bruker entered into rest Friday, March 16, 2018. He graduated from the Academy of Richmond County and the University of Georgia where he obtained a Bachelor of Business Administration and a Masters of Art. A one-time board member of the Independent Insurance Agents Association of Augusta, he was a Certified Insurance Counselor and an Accredited Advisor in Insurance. He was a past president of the Rotary Club of Augusta and was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship and a Will Watt Fellowship. He chaired the boards of the Gertrude of Herbert Institute of Art, the Augusta Partnership for Children and the Augusta Opera and served on the boards of the Georgia-Carolina Council of the Boys Scouts of America, the Pinnacle Club, the Clean Augusta Downtown Initiative, and the Downtown Augusta Alliance.
Pledge-Invocation: Robert Osborne
Sunshine Report: Gould Hagler
At our last meeting, we raised $282.54. Inside challenger was Rotarian LaVerne Gold and Rotarian Jeannette Cummings was the outside challenger. This week the inside challenger is Rotarian Connie Malear and Rotarian Kevin Wade is the outside challenger. Please contribute to the blue buckets on your tables. Cart Fund Reminder: Help the committee sign-up sheets are coming.
Introduction of New Augusta Rotary Club Members:
- Hawthorne Welcher proposed by Janice Jackson
- Surenda Gupta proposed by TR Reddy
- Mark Bowen proposed by Chris James
- Matt Barrett proposed by Eddie Booth
- Sam Meller proposed by Max Stachura
Paul Harris Fellowship presentation: Mark Gilliam PHF+2
City of Augusta 911 Services, Daniel Dunlap Director, introduced by Rotarian Janice Jackson. Director Dunlap has an Associates of Applied Science in Emergency Management and Administration and a Bachelor of Science in Project Management Public Service Management from Northwest Florida State College with certifications in Emergency Number Professional and Emergency Medical Dispatch Quality Assurance. He is a member of the Association of Public Safety Communications Officers and the National Emergency Number Association.
Director Dunlap presented the history of emergency call numbers/networks, outlining both their successes and problems to be solved. There are 6,440 911 Centers in the US and collectively more 50% of the calls they receive are inappropriate. There is a distinction between the “Call Receiver” and the “Dispatcher”, and a reason why many questions must be asked of the caller. If the caller is calling on a land line, exact location of the caller can be immediately identified. If the caller is making a cell phone or voice over internet call, only an approximate location can be identified. The questions address the need to send the right resources to exactly the right location. Answers are provided to the Dispatcher for implementation. Behind the scenes, tasks addressed by the Call Center include Professional Standards, Partner Training, and Quality Assurance. Next Generation 911 program development is underway to permit improved location identification and allow for text messaging, but Emojis do not work.
- Paul Harris Foundation Incentive from DG Hamsa Thota – Send in your checks by 31 March 2018 or bring them to next week’s meeting, from which all will be sent in batch.
- District Grant project progress.
- Jakob Fahl....Masters tickets has one, needs one
- Bill Kemp and The Rotary Information (new member orientation) Committee’s next meeting will be at 4:30 pm this afternoon at Past President and Assistant District Governor Kevin Wade's office (IntellSystems) located at 1115 Greene Street near downtown Augusta.
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of the CSRA presention “Great Futures Celebration 2018” will occur on May 1, 2018 at Bell Auditorium. Special guest Dabo Swinney
- The Rotary Club of Augusta will sponsor the “Human Trafficing Awareness Training: Recognizing Human Trafficking and Responding Appropriately” on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (lunch from 11:30 AM-1:00 PM) at the Enterprise Mill Events Center 1450 Greene St., Augusta GA 30901. Contact Patrick Cullinan (firstname.lastname@example.org or 706.533.3352). Register at: www.PBFI.org/HumanTraffickingAwareness.
Our next meeting will be Monday, March 26, 2018. Our speaker will be Melissa Furman, Asst Dean/Hull School of Business, Augusta University Topic: “Millenials—Here’s the Rest of the Story”
No April 2 meeting because of the Masters Golf Tournament and school Spring Break
The membership stood to recite the Four Way Test:
Of all the things that we think, say or do
1st: Is it the truth?
2nd: Is it fair to all concerned?
3rd: Will it build good will and bette
Easy links to pages on our website
Rotary schedule of meeting dates and speakers
Member Proposal Form
Online directory - Find a member or update your information
Bulletins - Weekly bulletins from 2014-current
Save the Date:
Rotary Golf Tournament
Tuesday, May 1st
River Golf Club
1:00 Tee Off
Inside Challenger: Connie Melear
Outside Challenger: Kevin Wade, Intellisystems
Richmond Academy Interact Club
Augusta Tech Rotaract Club
Scott Williams 3-19-18 Board of Dir. Meeting
Dustin Young 3-19-18 Board of Dir. Meeting
Shell Berry 3-19-18 Rotary Orientation Meeting
Scott Seidl 3-5-18 Rotary Orientation Meeting
Kurt Mueller 3-5-18 Rotary Orientation Meeting
The following will receive a makeup for attending the Rotary Red Badge Orientation meeting held at IntelliSystems, March 19, 2018.